Code Enforcement & Inspections
The Code Enforcement and Inspections Office of the city's Planning and Development Department is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for the citizens of Oakwood by providing effective public service through the enforcement of city codes and ordinances. We are responsible for making sure that all residences and commercial structures are built to comply with all Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Fire Codes to ensure a safely built environment.
Staff members process and issue building permits, investigate customer service requests and reviews, and check plans for all construction in the City of Oakwood. This department provides field inspection of projects requiring construction or grading approval and enforces city and state building codes.
The Code Enforcement Officer is charged with ensuring compliance with all ordinances and codes that are not of a criminal nature. The office performs residential inspections of all trades in new homes as well as inspections of commercial buildings. Other types of inspections performed by the city include detention ponds, developments, erosion and sediment control, paving, pool and site inspections.
The following codes, designed to protect the health, safety and welfare of its citizens, have been adopted by the City of Oakwood. Each of these codes have Georgia amendments:
Provide the following list of applicable codes that apply to the project on the cover sheet of the construction drawings:
The Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes:
- International Building Code, 2018 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments
- International Mechanical Code, 2018 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments
- International Plumbing code, 2018 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments, and IPC Appendix F
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments
- NFPA National Electrical Code, 2020 Edition
- International Energy Conservation Code,2015 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, 2018 Edition with 2020 Georgia State Amendments
Service Requests or Complaints