Recruiting and Hiring
The Mission of the Oakwood Police Department is to guarantee the safety and security of our community through dedicated and professional service, and by building and maintaining strong community partnerships.
Welcome to the Recruiting and Hiring page for the Oakwood Police Department! If you are considering a career with us, we welcome you to submit an application and begin the process of getting hired. You can get the application from our Forms page, or by clicking here. We will always accept your application, even if we do not have an opening for the position you are interested in when you apply. Once you submit an application, we will hold it for up to 12 months and you will be considered for any applicable position that comes available during that time.
We are a full-service agency operating 24-hours per day with personnel assigned to Patrol, Investigations, K9, Code Enforcement and Drone Piloting.
We are intent on providing our community with the level of service that we would want for our families if they ever had to rely on assistance from our personnel. Therefore, we are looking for service-oriented employees who are interested in self-improvement through training and other opportunities.
Our Patrol personnel are typically assigned to work 12-hour shifts on a schedule that rotates every 4 months. We do not promise anyone that they will have the ability to pick the time of day that they will work, but we do not leave anyone on a shift that they don't like for any longer than anyone else.
Pay and Benefits:
The Oakwood Police Department is a great place to work, and we have a high level of support and regard from our community and from our City administration. With the support of our elected officials and our City Manager, the pay and benefits for the Police Department are more than competitive with the agencies around us. A brief summary of these benefits is:
1. Competitive pay that is adjusted annually according to the June CPI for Atlanta, plus a 2.5% increase annually while the employee is not topped out on the City's pay plan. Salary is negotiable during the hiring process.
2. Overtime hours will be compensated at the end of each pay period.
3. The City of Oakwood observes 13 holidays annually, and Patrol personnel accrue 8 hours of leave time per holiday or recieve pay at time and a half for time worked during a Holiday.
4. Employees can accrue a maximum of 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of holiday time, 480 hours of sick time and 480 hours of comp time.
5. Unused vacation time may be sold to the City on the employee's anniversary date each year.
6. The City provides health insurance coverage for the employee and the employee's family at 100%; there is no payroll deduction to the employee.
7. The City provides each employee with retirement through the Georgia Municipal Association at no cost to the employee. Employees receive a 3.4% annual multiplier in this program, are vested in 5 years, and reach full retirement within 25 years. Full retirement is 90% of the employee's salary and the employee can draw these funds when their age and years of service equal 75.
8. The City's retirement plan replaces Social Security, and employees are only deducted for Medicare, not Social Security.
9. The department offers a 5% increase to the employee's base salary if the employee is conversational in Spanish.
10. Sworn members of the Police Department are issued a vehicle which can be taken home if the employee resides within 35 miles of the Police Department. (This is a straight-line distance calculated using the measuring tool found on Google Earth.)
11. Our vehicle fleet management is done through Enterprise Fleet Management and employees typically receive a new vehicle every 5 years or less.
Current Open Positions by Job Description:
Police Officer (1 Position)
Police Officer (1 Position)